Manito Art League Membership Meetings
Membership meetings are held at the Manitowish Waters Community Center, unless members are notified otherwise.
Meetings are Organized as follows:
9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
Discussion of Business Matters
11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
An Art Workshop for Members and the Public
Look below for information on workshops.
Membership Meeting Dates for 2021
Northwoods Outdoor Artists - Plein Air Gatherings
MAL Members and other artists gather at interesting northwood's sites to draw and paint.
Whether novices or experienced artists, all are welcome.
Plein Air Schedule for 2021
May 12 Workshop : “Blue Heron Portrait in Watercolor," with Melinda Schnell
We'll be using the 3 primaries, red, yellow & blue, to create a beautiful Blue Heron Painting. Paint and watercolor paper will be provided for a $10 fee. Some brushes will be available. If you have your own watercolor supplies, please bring them.
- Watercolors Paints: Red, Yellow and Blue and paper plates or plastic palette for mixing paints
- Brushes: Large Wash Brush, Smaller Brush for Details
- Paper Towels, a Clean Sponge and Container for Water
- 1” Masking Tape
- Foam Core Board, 20 X 30 Cut in Half for taping (available at Wal-Mart or Walgreens)
- Pencil, Vinyl Eraser
Class size is limited to 10 students. Please register 3 days ahead of the workshop. Walk-ins are welcome, if class size allows. A material fee of $10 will be paid directly to the instructor. A Class fee of $10 for MAL members and $20 for non-members is to be paid to MAL. Please bring your own lunch. If you have questions and to register, email MAL Workshop Chair, Sarah Thompson at [email protected].
June 2 Workshop: "Two-Tone Color Dyeing in One Step,” with Darcy Sage
Participants will draw, stamp, screen, or stencil a pattern onto their own white, 100% cotton, rayon or linen fabric or garment using a special dye attractant.
When dry, the fabric(s) or garment(s) will be scrunch dyed. Wherever the attractant is applied, the dye will be darker.
White Fabric or garments (100% cotton or natural fiber) (Bring one of the following):
- 4 napkins
- 4 fat quarters (18” x 22” pieces of fabric)
- 1 or 2 t-shirts (or other shirts)
- 1 or 2 scarves or a few baby garments
- Plastic containers, preferably with lids, to “scrunch” items into. (Containers should be sized to fit each item scrunched into a tight, flat layer.)
- Tub to transport the dye-filled, smaller containers home safely.
- Hair dryer
*Arrangements to buy napkins or fabric from Darcy can be made ahead of time.
Material fee to instructor is $20. This covers chemicals and dyes needed.
Participants must prepay a registration fee to reserve a spot in the workshop: $10.00 for members and $20.00 for non-members. Class size is 15. The last day to sign up is May 31. We will break for lunch. Please bring your lunch. If you have questions and to register, email MAL Workshop Chair, Sarah Thompson at [email protected].